Procedure of filing a patent
- At first a written application is filed at relevant patent office.
- The one who is filing an application is referred as applicant. Applicant can be an individual or a company.
- The applicant must be an inventor or its assignee.
- The application contains a description about of an invention. Such as how an invention work what are its functions and how it is made.
- The application also includes definition and scope of patent.
- After filing, an application is referred as "patent pending". This term does not confer legal protection. It serves to provide warning to potential infringers that if the patent is issued, they may be liable for damages.