Why should a trademark be registered?
Benefits of registering a trade mark
- A trademark can be proved the most valuable marketing tool. It distinguishes ones goods from another.
- A trade mark is identity. It is a brand. By trademark you can show your customers who you are.
- Trademark is directly proportional to your business. The more valuable your trademark the more successful your business will become.
- Once your trademark is registered it will carry the ® symbol. This ® symbol on your brand brings respect to your trademark.
Using another person's trade mark
- Under the Trademark Ordinance 2001, whether a trademark is registered or not, it is illegal to use another person’s trademark as your own.
- Under certain circumstances of common law and other state based trading legislation unregistered trademark have some value and it is also an offence under the Trademark Ordinance 2001.
- Under certain circumstances if someone is using an unregistered trademark for a time period and has become successful in building a significant reputation then he can stop another from using the same trademark or logo whether it has been registered or not.